Tuesday, December 3, 2013

First Friday: "Financial Literacy"

On November 19th, I attended a "Financial Literacy" seminar. In this seminar I was instructed on the importance of saving money, developing a budget and managing your credit. Individual debt starts at the college age, from loans to unnecessary frivolities such as clothes or game purchases. A college student on average acquires multiple credit cards adding up to possible hundreds or thousands in backed payments. I had no idea that missing one of these "minor" payments could go towards ruining your credit.

A highlight for me of the night was the very end where a money machine was inflated and tickets were drawn to see who was able to go inside win cash. The agreement was that tickets would continue to be drawn until the machine was empty. I was fortunate to have my ticket number called towards the end. Though difficult with most of the money missing from the machine, I was able to win twenty dollars. Overall it was a surprisingly fun and informative event.

No comments:

Post a Comment